ADSM-L

Re: Problem with delete volhist type=dbb

2004-08-26 11:45:37
Subject: Re: Problem with delete volhist type=dbb
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:45:51 -0500
Tom,

I just thought I might point out that you are licensed for DRM
automatically!  You have a library with 10 drives that immediately
requires you to purchase ITSM EE which comes with DRM included.  So be
thankful, you can now manage your offsite tapes like the rest of us The
DRM commands will make life much easier!

Good Luck and if you have any more questions about this please feel free
to contact me.

Kauffman, Tom wrote:

We don't do the DRM stuff (we're che/// frugal and didn't want to pop
the money way back when) and with this exception, our processes have
worked flawlessly.

And it just dawned on me how to fix this one. I think my brain has
fossilized or something. My previous challenge was to keep the database
backups from *staying* private (all my returning tapes are checked in
status=private and then marked access readwrite) so I went with the
15-day deletion cycle.

All I need to do to fix this is shorten the cycle, so the volhist
entries delete BEFORE the tapes are checked in again. Doh! After all,
what counts is the volhist off-site; in our case, on a floppy strapped
to the relevant database backup (also has the device config file and our
dns zone files).

Thanks for the suggestion, and my apologies for bothering the list with
this one.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc