ADSM-L

Re: Problem with delete volhist type=dbb

2004-08-26 10:01:15
Subject: Re: Problem with delete volhist type=dbb
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 09:02:06 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Kauffman, Tom
>I'm using a dedicated pool of tapes for off-site database
>backups, which seems to be working OK - almost. The problem is
>that the delete volhist returns the tape to scratch status,
>making it available to the next process that wants a scratch
>tape. 15 days later (my rotation) the database backup fails
>because all the tapes in my list are in use, most of them for
>something other than database backups.
>
>Am I missing something on the delete?

If you offsite your database backups, you shouldn't be using DEL
VOLHIST; you should be using the SET DRMDBBACKUPEXPIREDAYS parameter
instead. Doing so will set old db backups to VAULTRETRIEVE status
(rather than directly to scratch), which you then remedy by using the
proper MOVE DRMEDIA commands.

Please review the DRM procedures on pages 560 and following of the TSM
for AIX Administrator's Guide, version 5.1.5.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627