ADSM-L

Problem with delete volhist type=dbb

2004-08-26 09:51:25
Subject: Problem with delete volhist type=dbb
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:52:15 -0500
I'm using a dedicated pool of tapes for off-site database backups, which
seems to be working OK - almost. The problem is that the delete volhist
returns the tape to scratch status, making it available to the next
process that wants a scratch tape. 15 days later (my rotation) the
database backup fails because all the tapes in my list are in use, most
of them for something other than database backups.

Am I missing something on the delete?

Why I'm doing this:

We have LTO-2 drives now, and a mix of LTO1 and LTO2 media. Our D/R
hotsite contract specs LTO1 drives, so I'm using the LTO1 media for
off-siting, with designated tapes in each storage pool. Unfortunately,
my LTO1 media has lower volsers than the LTO2, so any LTO1 scratch is

TSM 5.1.6.3 on AIX 5.1-04; 3584 with 10 drives.

Suggestions?

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are for the exclusive
and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this
message. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by
return email and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your
computer system. We do not waive attorney-client or work product privilege by
the transmission of this message.