ADSM-L

Tapes do not go notmountable on a shared library

2004-08-20 04:09:06
Subject: Tapes do not go notmountable on a shared library
From: Mark Ferraretto <mark.ferraretto AT DB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:08:43 +0800
All,

I am running TSM 5.1.6.1.  I have set up a second instance of TSM on our
server and it is sharing the tape library using the shared library
capability.

The main server is called sm040.
The second instance is called sm040b

sm040b has a single onsite storage pool only.  No copy pools.  It is used
to store annual archive data.  The tapes are manually checked out of the
library after archives are complete and sent offsite.  After completing an
archive set we also run a 'backup db' to backup the database.  I want to
manage sending these offsite using drm. So I do the usual...

sm040b> move drm * wherest=mo tost=notmo remove=bulk

The console output indicates that the command completes successfully and
the tapes get ejected OK.  However, a q drm shows that the tapes are still
in mountable state.  If I checkin the tapes I can repeat the whole process
over and over.

I found this:

tsm: SM040B>q lic

                                 Last License Audit: 08/07/2004 13:37:16
          Number of space management clients in use: 0
        Number of space management clients licensed: 0
       Is Tivoli Disaster Recovery Manager in use ?: No
     Is Tivoli Disaster Recovery Manager licensed ?: Yes
                    Number of TDP for Oracle in use: 0

It thinks that DRM is not in use!  My drmstatus is set correctly.  I can
run a PREPARE no problems.  The move drm command completes without any
errors.  I tried bouncing the server and even creating a copy pool and
copying some data in it.  But no banana.  Those bloody tapes remain in a
MOUNTABLE state.

Has anyone seen this?  Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark