ADSM-L

Re: Large Domino systems to LTO drives

2004-08-19 16:15:58
Subject: Re: Large Domino systems to LTO drives
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:16:14 -0400
I understand your point but my issue is that I have to make it work with
what I have. Being short of resources is a fact-of-life for me.

It is going to have to go directly-to-tape. Now way around it. I am just
trying to figure out how to make it perform, the best.

Besides, I don't think it is reasonable to expect to have 1TB of
landing-zone just in case you might hit that mark (or higher) once a week
while the rest of the week I mostly have 200-300GB used, daily. Not going
to happen.  I have been asking for more tape drives (only 4-3590E and
2-LTO shared among 3-TSM servers with 100+ clients including the weekly
400GB notes backups) for more than a year and should finally get 4-more
3490E (ATL) drives.

We are a poor university !

Thanks for your help.

"Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
08/19/2004 01:02 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Large Domino systems to LTO drives

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU
>Can I assume you really ment something more reasonable like
>500MB not 5GB, since our mailbox limits are usually under 300MB ! ?

It depends upon what you mean by "reasonable". I've got a customer that
sets their first level of storage pool "overflow" to 20GB, and a second
level of 200GB.

>I still don't/won't have enough disk space to handle something
>like this !
> The backup stream would overrun the disk landing-zone (200GB)
>way before it has a chance to dump it to tape !

This is a situation where you appear to not have enough resource to
handle the load you're being asked to handle. A well-built TSM system
should have enough disk storage pool to handle a full two days of
backups. (After all, your library might be down for as long as 48 hours
waiting for parts.)

Disk is cheap(er) these days.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627