ADSM-L

Re: Slow backupset restore, a cry for help

2004-08-17 13:24:39
Subject: Re: Slow backupset restore, a cry for help
From: Giedrius Jankauskas <Giedrius.Jankauskas AT MICROLINK DOT LT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:22:35 +0300
Hi Matthew,

All the things you've mentioned are set correctly. The problem lies
within the server side, since it does send the data to the client very
slowly (and from the task manager I can see that the tsm server process
is reading data slowly as hell). There is probably no raid configuration
that could be as slow as 1.5MB/sec and mine is about 20mb/sec without
using cache. The problem is that while generating 3 tape (300GB) of
backupset takes 6-8 hours, restore process is very VERY VVEERRYY slow.
It hadn't finished restoring data from a single tape in 8 hours. There
are lots of small files, but could that be the problem ? Hasn't anyone
had problems with slow backupset restores tsm version 5.1.* and above ?
How can I find out what the bottleneck is ?

As I have mentioned before - speed of generating backupset, regular
backups and regular restores is normal (10-15MB/s) for an LTO drive.

Frustrating.