ADSM-L

Re: Problems with backup & scheduler on Netware system

2004-08-11 03:03:49
Subject: Re: Problems with backup & scheduler on Netware system
From: Tom Anstey <tom.anstey AT MOLECULAR-MEDICINE.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:03:28 +0100
On 10 Aug 2004 at 11:08, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

[Snip]
> Also, I get these errors about files failing. The one consistant
> indicator seems to be the file names ending in a " - " ?   Is this an
> issue or is the message simply being truncated ?

[Snip]
> 08/10/2004 02:15:03 ANS1228E Sending of object
> 'USER:/Surgery/SSN_Admin/MDuong/Software/MACapps/maccd/System 7.5
> Version 7.5.3/CD Extras/PowerTalk Extras/PowerTalk
> Connectivity/MailLink( PTINET/Place Contents in Preferences -' failed
> 08/10/2004 02:15:03 ANS4007E Error processing
[Snip]

> to the object is denied 08/10/2004 02:20:11 ANS1802E Incremental
> backup of 'USER:' finished with 6 failure

I'd take a look at the directory in question on the NW server itself
using an Apple Mac.  NW has 4 filespaces, DOS, Long, Mac and NFS.  It
is possible to place files with what are normally "illegal" filenames
into the Mac filespace; they are then difficult to rename with a PC.
In addition, these are then difficult to backup, let alone restore.

Get the user to use an Apple to rename the file.  The name is likely
to have a Copyright symbol or something similar.  Essentially Apples
will allow almost anything except semi-colons as filenames.

Tom
Tom Anstey
Institute of Molecular Medicine
Oxford University