ADSM-L

Re: Changing fileserver directory structure and TSM

2004-08-10 22:35:10
Subject: Re: Changing fileserver directory structure and TSM
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:34:51 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Gordon Woodward
>We are currently looking at making a slight change to the
>directory structure on our main fileserver (win2000), primarly
>moving all our workgroup directories to the root of the drive
>they are on (removal of two redundant parent folders). I can
>probably already guess what the answer will be but I assume
>there is no way to 'trick' TSM into not backing up all the
>data again and expiring all the files and their history from
>their original location?

You are correct; there's no way to "spoof" TSM this way.

>There is about 550Gb of data that will be affected and I was
>hoping not to have to backup all the data again. Our library
>is not very big and at capacity, our policy is already pretty
>tight so altering that will only cause other problems. It was
>bad enough when NTFS permissions were changing and TSM decided
>to rebackup gigabytes of data before we turned on
>SKIPNTPERMISSIONS YES.

About the best you could do is either export the node (or run a
backupset of it), delete the node's filesystems, and start over with
fresh backups. After a sufficient amount of time (at least a couple of
months), you can ditch the tape(s) with a DELETE VOLH T=EXPORT (or
DELETE BACKUPSET).

Keep in mind also that if you run SKIPNTPERMISSIONS, and you have to
rebuild the box later, you'll have to change all of those permissions
settings again.

--
Mark Stapleton