ADSM-L

Changing fileserver directory structure and TSM

2004-08-10 19:42:49
Subject: Changing fileserver directory structure and TSM
From: Gordon Woodward <gordon.woodward AT DB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:27:26 +1000
We are currently looking at making a slight change to the directory structure
on our main fileserver (win2000), primarly moving all our workgroup directories
to the root of the drive they are on (removal of two redundant parent folders).
I can probably already guess what the answer will be but I assume there is no
way to 'trick' TSM into not backing up all the data again and expiring all the
files and their history from their original location? I.E. Altering the backup
history in TSM so that it reflects the new directory structure.

There is about 550Gb of data that will be affected and I was hoping not to have
to backup all the data again. Our library is not very big and at capacity, our
policy is already pretty tight so altering that will only cause other problems.
It was bad enough when NTFS permissions were changing and TSM decided to
rebackup gigabytes of data before we turned on SKIPNTPERMISSIONS YES.

Any tips to get around this that I haven't thought of?

Gordon

EDIT: Weird, for some reason I had been unsubscribed from the list even though
I was subscribed yesterday.

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.