ADSM-L

Re: size allocation error

2004-07-27 10:01:59
Subject: Re: size allocation error
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:01:31 -0400
> Hi all,
>
> I get the following warning error in my activity log:
>
> ANR1339W Session 10931 underestimated a size allocation
>                           request - 35MB more space was allocated to allow
the
>                           operation to continue. (SESSION: 10931)
>
> I get this error when I archive data to a diskpool.

We have not seen this message, but have occasionally seen a related but
far more serious problem: a file that was not backed up because a size
allocation was underestimated and the server could not provide enough
additional disk space. This usually happens when the client tries to
compress files already compressed by other software. We have been able
to get rid of most problems with disk space estimates by adding
'exclude.compress' statements for compressed file formats. For example,
many of our HP-UX systems now have 'exclude.compress *.gz' in their
include/exclude files.