ADSM-L

Re: System out of Memory error resoreing 170,000 files

2004-07-22 11:16:20
Subject: Re: System out of Memory error resoreing 170,000 files
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:15:52 -0400

What if you move the restored files to a temporary location, then resume
the restore?

Not sure why the problem is there, but that would hopefully get you past
it.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

He who laughs last has a good backup.

             "Warren, Matthew
             (Retail)"
             <Matthew.Warren@P                                          To
             OWERGEN.CO.UK>            ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            cc
             Dist Stor
             Manager"                                              Subject
             <[email protected]         System out of Memory error
             .EDU>                     resoreing 170,000 files

             07/22/2004 10:40
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

 Hallo,

TSM client 5.1.6 on AIX 4.3.3.0

Server version 5.2.2.3 on AIX 5.2.0.0

When doing a restore of 170,000 + files, the client stops around about
file number 97,500 (+/- 10 files each time it fails) complaining with;

ANS1030E System ran out of memery.

Now, if I try and restore the next file in the sequence, or any files
after the failure point, I get ANS1030E.

BUT, if I delete all of the currently restored files, I can then start
restoring from the original failed file onwards.

IE;

First restore gets to 97,500(approx, different each time) files.
Second restore cannot restore any more files into the directory
Stop / start the client
Third restore cannot restore files into the directory
Stop client
Rm - r /directory/*
Start client
Can now begin restoring files either from the beginning or from the
point the restore initially failed.

Now, roots ulimit is unlimited and the box has 4GB RAM. We have tried
the restore on 3 different boxes with 1GB / 2GB and 4GB ram
respectivley, same AIX and client levels, and each box behaves the same
way. We have also tried a downlevel client but see the same behaviour.

...this makes me think the client is doing something with the directory
before each and every file is restored, and that 'something' generates
the ANS1030E memory error.

Anyone have any ideas? I have searched IBM and ADSM.org and cant find
anything usefull....  Next step will be to go to IBM support...

Thanks,

Matt.

prohibited.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore Powergen Retail
Limited does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The
recipient is responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on
the contents. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of Powergen Retail Limited.

Registered addresses:

Powergen Retail Limited, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry,
CV4 8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432

GIF image

GIF image