ADSM-L

Re: storage pool raid 1?

2004-07-22 04:41:32
Subject: Re: storage pool raid 1?
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:41:03 +0200
Karel,

if you set the copygroup option on a primary storage pool, this will mean
that every single session that sends data to the server will need to have
it's own mount point. This will increase the need for tape drives in your
copy storagepool. Whats cheapest? Buying extra disk for disk security, or
new tape drives just so you can bypass the RAID-security on your disks?
You could create a storage pool for your most important server(s), so that
not all sessions have a storage pool with the copypool option set.
However, most of my customers with 200-300 servers have alot of important
servers..... Which means, for them, they would still need alot of drives
to handle the copygroup option.

I would still go for disk security, either by using RAID internally in
your disk subsystem, or by remote mirroring between disk subsystems(which
is getting more common as companies begin to look at disaster recovery
options). It's alot cheaper than trying to bypass disk security by using
the copygroup option. If your disk subsystems are on a SAN, you could
easily mirror(remote or locally) them in the operating system, which would
make it possible to raise the level of uptime, as the TSM server wouldnt
go down if you lost a disk subsystem or a RAID array.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

"Bos, Karel" <Karel.Bos AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
2004-07-22 09:17
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: storage pool raid 1?

Hi,

Then again, if you configure these important server to directly write to a
primary stg pool, with backupstg set to a copy pool, one backup will write
to two destination at the same time. This will solve the raid 5 overhead
and leave you with two copies of the "most" important data.

Regards,

Karel