ADSM-L

D2D vs. tape backups with TSM?

2004-07-21 17:52:02
Subject: D2D vs. tape backups with TSM?
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:51:50 -0500
TSM 5.1.6.5 on 2K server. Current library is Overland Neo 4100 LTO-2.

We need more capacity in our backups, and I'm looking at faster restore
altenatives. Has anyone here used the Overland Reo 400x series, or
anything similar? It's basically SATA drives enclosed and RAID'd. And you
can configure it into LV's that emulate LTO-2 tapes.

Does any TSM'er use disk based backup? Right now the cost seems to be
twice as much as LTO-2 based. I can get a 12TB LTO-2 library for about
35K (Overland NEo 4100), yet the same capacity with disk (Reo 4000) is
about 70K. I can also buy a DAS RAID system with 4TB capacity for about
10K (Excel Meridian). What is so special about a D2D disk backup system
that makes it twice as expensive as the DAS and tape backup?

But I'd prefer not to attach a DAS to the TSM server, because I definately
want the virtual-LTO-2 functionaility, which I *think* is part of the Reo
4000 device, right? I mean, TSM doesn't do that does it? That must be a
functionality of the D2D device, right?

Thanks,

Alex