ADSM-L

Re: storage pool raid 1?

2004-07-21 09:09:15
Subject: Re: storage pool raid 1?
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:09:01 -0400
==> In article <20040721074355.A27725 AT mikee.ath DOT cx>, Mike Eggleston
<mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX> writes:

> I'm about to create a new storage pool with lots of disk and six
> drives. Does anyone have an opinion about either creating one huge
> filesystem for the storage pool or creating the filesystem as RAID 1?

What OS?

For storage, why raid 1 instead of 5?

On AIX, I'd recommend raid 5 on whatever granularity makes sense,
(half-drawer, whatever fits in the chassis, etc.) and then no filesystem at
all: raw logical volumes have a great deal to recommend them.

- Allen S. Rout