ADSM-L

LANFREE Problem

2004-07-21 04:06:32
Subject: LANFREE Problem
From: Mario <mario AT NIAGAPRIMA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:14:10 +0700
Dear all,

First of all, we install TSM server v5.2.3 with basic initialization setting.
And then we also install TSM client v5.2.3 on all clients, and TSM Storage
Agent v5.2.3 on all supported client (Client's with fiber connection to SAN
Switch). We also use 3590 tape library with 'Random 2 Lun' for the acf mode. We
use 2 tapes for this test.

After that we define the servers for TSM Storage Agent and also define the
Drive Path for each of those servers. After that we initialize the TSM Storage
Agent on each server.

We also add the dsm.opt file on each client the 'enablelanfree yes' line. After
all of the necessary requirement for lanfree backup to work, we try to backup 1
client server (cd1) using lanfree (cd1agent). The session established, and then
the tape mounted, and then the backup started. Backup successful using lanfree
for that server. After that while the tape still mounted on drive with status:
'idle', we start to test backup another client server (fr1). Now the problem
ocuur at this point, by the time the session established with fr1, the tape
dismount, and then it mounted again and dismount again and so on, but the
backup never started. So we end the session, restart the TSM Server and reset
the drive on 3590 tape. After all sessions and mounts are cleared, we begin to
try another backup using lanfree. After the 1st server finish its backup with
the state success, we try to clear all of the sessions from the 1st server and
then disable the TSM Storage Agent Service on that server too, After all is
cleared, we try to backup the second server, and it's working just fine with
success results. Both the 1st and 2nd servers using win2k3 for their OS,
suspecting that TSM not yet fully applicable with this new OS, we try the same
scenario with servers using Win2k server for their OS, and the problem still
occurs. The ports that are open are 1500, 1501, 1504, 1580, 1581. We can 'ping
server' the storage agents, also if we use the command 'show lanfree' , it show
no problem with the lanfree connection. So, anyy suggestion regarding this
matter?

regards,
Mario Sunarto
Technical Consultant
PT Niaga Prima Paramitra
IBM Business Partner
Tivoli Software Department
Pinang Mas I / UT-23 Pondok Indah, Jakarta 12310
Phone : +6221-7692918, +6221-7692920
+6221-7663663 (Direct)
Fax : +6221-7505194
Mobile : +62856-9908787