ADSM-L

Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives

2004-07-16 13:56:11
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Monthly Archives
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:55:58 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Mike Bantz
>I *love* that TSM is so flexible and I hate that I get to
>agonize and debate
>any changes to it for that very reason. We've been bitten
>really hard in the
>past due to poor planning, so I'm trying to plan for my next
>4-7 years now. :-)

Would that more admins put as much work into planning!

Long-term file preservation can be difficult to plan. The best approach
is to go to the customer and ask what the bottom line is--what is it
exactly that he/she wants, rather than passively accepting
customer-dictated methodology.

"I want a full backup of my machine once a week" doesn't necessarily
mean "Run a selective backup of my machine once a week".

--
Mark Stapleton