ADSM-L

Re: Client Option Sets vs. Option Files

2004-07-13 17:35:53
Subject: Re: Client Option Sets vs. Option Files
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:35:37 -0400
We use about 5 different cloptsets.
One for macs, one for Win2K, one for Win2K3 servers, one for Windows
desktops, one for AIX servers, etc.

We put in the cloptset things that apply to all Win2K servers, (or macs, or
AIX, etc.)
and put in dsm.opt anything that only applies to that particular client.
That seems to be the most logical thing for us.

That way nobody has to remember all the annoying stuff that applies to EVERY
windows system,
'cause it's all in one place.
And we don't have multiple people putting a zillion machine-specific things
into the cloptset that we might trip up on later.

See more answers below each question:

1) Can we use just one large option set that encompasses all possible
excludes and includes (since our includes are usually directory
specific)?

>>>"all POSSIBLE?"  Not sure what that would mean!!  :>)
Duuno, probably.  I haven't tried putting AIX excludes into a cloptset for a
Windows sytem, for example,
but I suspect it would work OK.

        a) If so, does that slow down backups being a larger option set
file?

>>>Dunno.  Our largest CLOPTSET is 55 lines, and I haven't seen any
noticeable slowdown.
Cloptsets are pretty harmless, have never run into any real gotcha's (except
for the lack of an editor!)

 >>> b) Does the server read it each time for each client that logs
on?

Dunno, never wondered.  Probably, 'cause- you can do a q inclexcl even if
you aren't doing a backup.
I suspect the cloptset is small compared to the list of active backups that
gets sent down for a normal incremental!

>>> c) Is it a problem if multiple servers log on at the same time?

Nope, works just like you want it to.

2) Can we use both option sets and option files, where we can have the
specifics added to the option file and the generic in the option set?

>>>Yep, that's what we do.

It's a little weird - for options other than INCLUDE/EXCLUDE, you can
specify whether the server option overrides the local dsm.opt.
But for INCLUDE/EXCLUDE, ALL the includes and excludes are merged together.
So you could have conflicts.

So after you set up your CLOPTSET, be sure you go to a client and do "q
inclexcl" to make sure you are getting the results you want.
(We don't have that situation, since we leave in dsm.opt only the things
that apply to the specific client.)

Hope that helps!

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)