ADSM-L

backup database command specifying tape volumes

2004-07-12 16:26:54
Subject: backup database command specifying tape volumes
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:26:44 -0500
I'm about to have mixed media (lto1 and lto2) in the same library. All
the drives will be lto2. I intend to set the lto2 media as scratch and
define the lto1 media to specific storage pools. Our current D/R hotsite
contract is for lto1 drives, so I'm planning on using the lto1 media for
all my copy pools.

Having said that - I need to make sure my database backups go to lto1
media. I've never used the 'volumes' parm on the backup database command
before. If I issue the command "backup database devclass=lto type=full
volumes=v1,v2,v3,v4" will tsm use the first available volume in the
list, or will it ignore the command if v1 is already an un-expired
database backup? In other words, how creative do I need to be in my
automated backup script?

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc