ADSM-L

Re: register license not working

2004-07-12 15:23:00
Subject: Re: register license not working
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:23:19 -0400
Hi Tom!

This server is new and the TSM instance is new as well.  I am the only
individual that would update licenses and I was registering more licenses.
When I registered the licenses, they were committed and I received the
basic response of the old vs. new licenses registered.  (I do this through
the command line on the web admin)  Then it appears as if the server was
rebooted and when it came back up it couldn't find the dsmlicense file in
the /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin directory.  Yes, it does appear as if this
file has been blown away.  By who?  I can't answer that.  We have a
separate group that installs software, so they were installing the TSM
software and I customize and adminstrate the TSM environment.  All of the
individual license files are under the bin directory, ie: mgsyslan.lic,
drm.lic, etc. but as the activity log states, to start up the server it
needs that dsmlicense file in the /bin directory.  Is there a way to
recreate or copy this file from another server?  Or would I have to
reinstall the whole TSM package?  Thanks for any advice/info. on this!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

             "Kauffman, Tom"
             <KauffmanT@NIBCO.
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: register license not working

             07/12/2004 02:56
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Joni --

I show dsmlicense in /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin with the same dates as
the .lic files -- this is the command that is run to add licenses. I
would assume that you could find it on the base install media for the
version of TSM you're running.

I'm not sure where the encrypted license file ends up (the output of the
dsmlicense command) but it sounds like that's been blown away as well.
Is it possible that someone at your site was attempting to reduce the
number of licenses by deleting the license file and re-registering --
and got the wrong file the first time?

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc