ADSM-L

Re: NDMP backups via LAN?

2004-06-30 11:42:41
Subject: Re: NDMP backups via LAN?
From: "Wheelock, Michael D" <Michael.Wheelock AT INTEGRIS-HEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:42:19 -0500
Hi,

We have several netapp filers in our environment.  Because NDMP in
general (and specifically in the case of TSM) is lacking we use a
slightly different configuration.  For each filer, we have an anti-virus
server that runs the off box mcafee solution for netapp.  These also
double as the backup nodes for the filers.  We share each vol (vol1,
vol2, c$, etc) and backup those with the domain tag in the dsm.opt file.

Pro's
1) Doesn't require ndmp.
2) Retains progressive incremental approach.
3) Doesn't require an image backup.
4) Can scale to whatever volume is needed by adding more nodes.
5) No tape drive issues.

Con's
1) More network traffic
2) Probably slower.
3) Windows/UNIX account must have rights to read all files.
4) Need to exclude ~snapshot folders (not a big deal, unless you
forget).
5) Scheduler service must run as the windows account with the rights.

In a disaster, the filer brain is in the c$ share (the files that have
all of the qtree's and shares are in there) so you could restore the c$
share and recreate the volumes.  Of course the best disaster option for
the filers is to have a second one in a remote facility and use
snapmirror to mirror them, but that may be cost prohibitive.

I have been told (mostly by netapp people) that veritas and legato have
better implementations of ndmp than TSM.  YMMV.

Michael Wheelock
Integris Health