ADSM-L

Re: raw partitions

2004-06-29 14:34:04
Subject: Re: raw partitions
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:33:48 -0400
==> In article <200406291330.i5TDUEmp001568 AT igate.highmark DOT com>, Joni
Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM> writes:

> Hello all!

> I was reading the performance tuning guide and it states that we should use
> raw partitions for server db, log and disk storage pool volumes for an AIX
> server and I was just wondering if this is true and what the benefits are of
> configuring volumes in this manner?

Simpler, faster, less space overhead.

Liabilities:

- Someone who doesn't understand TSM and LVs might _change_ the size of an LV,
  and that will bust it, as far as TSM is concerned

- LVs have 15 character name limits.  If you have several TSM instances on one
  piece of hardware, this can get confusing unless you think about it first.
  Here's my standard so far:

  /dev/rtglmaildblv01a
        \\\     \   \\-  Mirror a
         \\\     \   \-  DB volume 1
          \\\     \-     Database, as opposed to log or data
           \\\-          Instance name
            \\-          'TSM lv'
             \-          raw LV.

  This breaks down if you want to label the LV according to instance -and-
  domain.  So far, this hasn't been too much of a problem for me, and will
  only really be an issue for data volumes.

> As I understand it, if we configure raw logical volumes, the AIX volume
> group will need to be applied to a raw logical volume, as opposed to a
> standard UNIX filesytem.

I can't parse this.

> When defining TSM volumes, would we then need to define and format them to
> the raw logical volume?!?

You don't need to format them (which is the single most emotionally important
reason to use them, as far as I'm concerned: speed of execution).  You can:

root# mklv -y 'tfoobardblv01a' [volume group] [# PP's] [hdisk of residence]

then you can immediately

YOUR_SERV> def dbvol /dev/rtfoobardblv01a

- Allen S. Rout