ADSM-L

Re: File location

2004-06-29 11:44:51
Subject: Re: File location
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:44:34 +0200
On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:13:18 -0400
Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> If the options file for the tsm server is located at
> /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin, then where would be the recommended
> location for the device configuration and volume history file?  The
> database and recovery log will be located at /tsmdev/log/** and
> /tsmdev/db/** and the storage pools will be /tsmdev/stgpool/**.  Would
> this be a correct location/setup for an AIX TSM server 5.2?  I am very
> new to this environment and I am trying to set this up and move off of
> MVS.  Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated!  Thanks!
>
> ********************************
> Joni Moyer
> Highmark
> Storage Systems
> Work:(717)302-6603
> Fax:(717)302-5974
> joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
> ********************************

What I just did on our new server:

/tsm/inst<x>/      for start/stopscripts, dsmserv.opt and dsmserv.dsk

/tsm/db<n>a/      for one mirror of the dbvols (n=1 to 8)
/tsm/db<n>b/      for the other side of the mirror
/tsm/data<m>/     where m is 01 to 16 for diskstoragepools
/tsm/log<x>{a|b}/ for the logvolumes, x matches the x in /tsm/inst<x>/
                  a and b are each one side of the mirror

-- each of these is a separate disk, as you may have guessed by now, we
   use TSM mirroring for db and logvolumes.

/tsm/scripts      for a load of serverscripts, macro's, monitoringscripts
                  and what more

/var/tsm/server   for some extra stuf like an extra copy of the volhist
                  and the devconf

The most important thing is that _you_ know what does what, and what goes where

an alternative set-up I have on a smaller test environment goes like

/tsm/inst<x>              as a root for a TSM server instance
/tsm/inst<x>/etc/         for start/stop scripts, devconf and volhist backups,
                          dsmserv.opt and dsmserv.dsk
/tsm/inst<x>/db<n>{a|b}/  for databasevolumes
/tsm/inst<x>/log{a|b}/    for logvolumes

/tsm/data<m>/             for storagepools

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams