ADSM-L

Re: File location

2004-06-29 09:48:03
Subject: Re: File location
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:49:04 -0400
Joni,

There probably isn't a "correct" location.

If using filesystems, I usually put my primary db copy under "/tsmdbpri",
with the mirror copy under "/tsmdbmir", and the recovery log under
"/tsmlogpri" and "/tsmlogmir" respectively.

I also have customers that stick them under "/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/db"
and "/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/log".

If you have mirrored storage for the DB and log, then you probably won't
use the TSM mirroring facilities.

And, of course, if you are running raw volumes, then there is no
corresponding mount point.

So...it depends.  You can put it where you like, but I'd recommend
something easy to type, because you will have to type the path in sooner
or later, and "/tsmsyspri/db0.dsm" is a lot easier to type (and remember)
than "/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/etc/etc/etc....".

As to volhist and devconfig, I put them in a couple of different
locations, and on different disk devices, and make sure to get a copy that
winds up off of the machine, whether by e-mail, ftp, or a DRM plan file
that gets sent off each day.

HTH!

-Lloyd

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:13:18 -0400
Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM> wrote thusly:

> Hello!
>
> If the options file for the tsm server is located at
> /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin, then where would be the recommended location
> for the device configuration and volume history file?  The database and
> recovery log will be located at /tsmdev/log/** and /tsmdev/db/** and the
> storage pools will be /tsmdev/stgpool/**.  Would this be a correct
> location/setup for an AIX TSM server 5.2?  I am very new to this
> environment and I am trying to set this up and move off of MVS.  Any
> suggestions/ideas would be appreciated!  Thanks!
>
> ********************************
> Joni Moyer
> Highmark
> Storage Systems
> Work:(717)302-6603
> Fax:(717)302-5974
> joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
                     Registered Linux User 285528
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267