ADSM-L

raw partitions

2004-06-29 09:26:08
Subject: raw partitions
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:25:56 -0400
Hello all!

I was reading the performance tuning guide and it states that we should use
raw partitions for server db, log and disk storage pool volumes for an AIX
server and I was just wondering if this is true and what the benefits are
of configuring volumes in this manner?  As I understand it, if we configure
raw logical volumes, the AIX volume group will need to be applied to a raw
logical volume, as opposed to a standard UNIX filesytem.  When defining TSM
volumes, would we then need to define and format them to the raw logical
volume?!?

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems