ADSM-L

Re: Delays in connection establishment

2004-06-28 08:59:36
Subject: Re: Delays in connection establishment
From: Sascha Askani <se7en_t_2 AT GMX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:59:19 +0200
> >I've got a problem concerning the TSM-Server of one of our customers:
> >
> >I've updated said TSM-Server from AIX 4.3.3 to 5.2 ML3 (64-bit Kernel)
> and
> >TSM from 4.1.x to 5.2.2 (64bit) (with a step on 5.1.9.0 and CLEANUP
> >BACKUPGROUP as well as UPGRADEDB).
> >I also upgraded the TSM- and HSM-Client on this server, everything went
> >fine.
> >BUT: When I attempt a connection to the server, for example via dsmadmc,
> the
> >TSM waits for approx. 4 or 5 seconds before asking for the password.
> (after
> >supplying the username). This also seems to happen for every client
> session
> >as well as for the web-interface, which especially renders the
> web-interface
> >unusable. After the connection is established, everything works with
> normal
> >speed...
> >Telnet connects from remote machines work like a charm, so, from my point
> of
> >view, this is a TSM error.
> >
> >Hints ?
>
> Four seconds is the conventional DNS timeout value.
> Some months ago we discussed such delays, which have been evidenced in a
> minority of sites (but not others) under TSM 5.2.  This resolves to site
> issues
> in conjunction with the new DNSLOOKUP option (see the manuals, or
> http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts).  It may be that 5.2 is
> illuminating
> some historic DNS issues in your shop.
>
> You don't specify your TSM patch level (V.R.M.patch_level), but make sure
> you
> are at a reasonably high level.

Hi again !

First of all, thanks for the fastest answer on the northern hemisphere :)
As far as the patch level is concerned, I used the latest TSM-Binaries found
 on
ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/server/v5r2/AIX/LATEST
Should I have installed patches ? I could do this next time I'm there...
Back to the problem: Unfortunately I have to wait until next week before I
can check the DNS issues you mentioned above, but I promise giving updates
as soon as I can.

If anyone had my problem before, don't hesitate to posting your resolution
here !

Thanks in advance !

Sascha Askani