ADSM-L

Re: Retain Exchange Data Longer

2004-06-26 10:07:42
Subject: Re: Retain Exchange Data Longer
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:07:19 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Hart, Charles
>We have an issue where a group wants us to hold a Full
>Exchange Backup from 90 Days ago forever.  The simple answer
>would be change the Exchange Policy to No limit on retention
>which would really chew tape.  Is it possible to generate a
>"Backup Set" or Archive of Exchange Data from 80-90 days ago
>(Our Retention = 90) (Backed Up with the TDP)

You can't create a backupset of data backed up with API-based software,
such as TDP for Mail (Exchange), and I don't believe you can archive it
either.

You could create a second node name and use it to create a monthly
backup (a "snapshot", as it were) of Exchange data and hold on to that
backup forever.

This may be one of those times when people are telling you how to get
what they want, rather than telling you what their bottom line is. Go
back to the group in question and ask what exactly it is they want. You
may find better ways to get to their desired end goal.

If indeed they want to keep Exchange data forever (we all know they'll
*never* use it--who wants to go back 60 days for old mail), tell them
that they are welcome to donate a big chunk of money for the tape
library it would take to store all of that data.

--
Mark Stapleton