ADSM-L

TSM migration to TSM DR (to use Centera or DR450)

2004-06-23 17:29:26
Subject: TSM migration to TSM DR (to use Centera or DR450)
From: Justin Derrick <ADSM AT JUSTINDERRICK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:28:53 -0400
Hi TSMers.

I just thought I'd run this by everyone for verification and
validation, and to see if there are any clever solutions out there.
I've searched the archive thoroughly, and from what I can see, this
topic hasn't been discussed very much as of yet.

From what I've been told by EMC and IBM, there is no clear, easy path
to upgrade TSM to TSM for Data Retention, and that in order to
exploit the 'regulatory compliance' features of Centera and IBM's
Data Retention 450, that we must perform that upgrade.

In effect, we would need to extract each and every document from the
existing archive system (IBM DB2 Content Manager OnDemand) and reload
it into a brand new instance of the server, which was installed and
configured to use TSM DR.  This is unpalatable, at best.

If anyone has any experience with this upgrade, and has information
about avoiding the export/import work at the application level, I'm
sure there are many users out there who are interested in hearing
your opinions and advice.

-JD.