ADSM-L

Re: How do you handle retired nodes?

2004-06-11 08:53:33
Subject: Re: How do you handle retired nodes?
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:53:09 -0400
We have a domain called DISCO (short for Disconnected) where we move all
the "retired" systems.

We consider the node to have been deleted, so we keep the backup data for
the RetainLast number of days (from the copygroup settings).  Archive data
is kept until expiration deletes it.  We also change the node name, using
the data of "retirement" in the new name.  That forces the SysAdmins to
have to contact us to do a restore, but then we have "passwordaccess
generate" so they'd need a password reset anyway.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

He who laughs last has a good backup.