ADSM-L

Re: restore causing mount tape to status reserved?

2004-06-07 10:31:27
Subject: Re: restore causing mount tape to status reserved?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:31:10 +0200
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 07:48:50 -0400
Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> wrote:

> >TSM 5.1.6.5 on windows 2K server.
> >
> >When I run a simple restore, nothing that I haven't done a hundred
> >times before, the restore hangs after a minute or two, and doesn't do
> >squat, forever. The only thing I notice is the q mount command shows
> >something odd:
> >
> >tsm:>q mount
> >ANR8376I Mount point reserved in device class LTOCLASS1, status:
> >RESERVED. ANR8334I         1 matches found.
> >
> >I've never set anything in the server to be 'reserved'. This is
> >happening completely unexpectedly. I have no idea on what to do, as
> >the actlog shows zipo on this error. I don't even think TSM thinks
> >it's an error.
> >
> >I will work on it in the monring, but maybe someone has a quick fix.
> >Didn't find one in the list...
>
> I believe that the only quick fix is to restart the TSM server.
>
> A Reserve is a special device command to retain control of a tape
> drive or the like in an environment where the drive is shared by
> multiple hosts, over

A reserv also happens when a process needs multiple devices (eg two
tapedrives) in different deviceclasses and only one is available. That
one is then reserved, while the process waits for the other to become
available, making sure the reserved drive is still available for use
when the other resource becomes available. Happens to us all the time.

I'd check 'q dr' and 'q path'.....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams