ADSM-L

Re: 3590 cleaning scheduling

2004-06-04 19:43:53
Subject: Re: 3590 cleaning scheduling
From: "Thorson, Paul" <Paul.Thorson AT MCKESSON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:43:07 -0400
Hello,

If you read in the 3494 Operator's Guide, it mentions that the "performance
of the drive" is monitored to determine when to clean it, which I believe is
done by measuring voltages across the head.  For most TSM servers, this
monitored cleaning will occur much sooner and more often than the scheduled
cleaning defaults.

So, Zoltan, you should not have to adjust the scheduled cleaning option.  If
the current setting is to clean the drives every 65 mounts, you may be
seeing those cleanings in addition to the "as needed" cleanings initiated by
the LM.  I would be tempted to set it back up to 999, and see if the
cleanings are reduced without causing any TSM I/O errors.  Check with your
CE first though - maybe he/she knows the history of why it was reduced in
the first place.  Perhaps it was to address a problem with older technology
drives (i.e, 3490).

Milton, that's a clever idea to keep an eye on the cleaning history - I've
back-tracked that information often when trouble-shooting drive problems.
Knowing it beforehand would be an excellent way to predict failures.

- Paul