ADSM-L

TDP For Domino OS390 and Domino V6 issues

2004-05-31 10:07:02
Subject: TDP For Domino OS390 and Domino V6 issues
From: Robin Lowe <robin_lowe AT STANDARDLIFE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 15:06:12 +0100
Has anyone any experiences of using TSM Server 5.2.2.3, TSM For Mail TDP
For Domino OS390 V5.1.5.01 and Domino V5 upgrading to Domino V6?

I'll explain our configuration and problem.

We run TSM and Domino V5 Instances on a pair of z/os LPAR's as follows :

SYSE

TSM Server, clients H01TDP, M01TDP.M02TDP TSMSYSE
Domino Instances H01, M01, M02

SYSF

TSM Server, clients H02TDP, M03TDP.M04TDP TSMSYSF
Domino Instances H02, M03, M04

All our backup, archive and housekeeping processes are executed via z/os
Batch Applications managed by OPCA executing USS scripts.
All our Selective and Incremental backups, archives and so on are run using
a single execution userid in z/os.
Our process involes invoking a single profile where we pass a parameter of
the Domino Instance which sets up teh environment for the execution of the
script.
This looks like this :

export DSM_DIR=/etc/tsm/ba
export DSM_LOG=/etc/tsm/ba
export DSM_CONFIG=/etc/tsm/ba/dsm.opt
export DSMI_DIR=/etc/tsm/api
export DSMI_LOG=/etc/tsm/domino/$1
export DSMI_CONFIG=/etc/tsm/domino/$1/dsm.opt
export DOMI_DIR=/usr/lpp/Tivoli/tsm/client/domino/bin
export DOMI_LOG=/etc/tsm/domino/$1
export DOMI_CONFIG=/etc/tsm/domino/$1/domdsm.cfg
export _EDC_PUTENV_COPY=YES
export _CEE_RUNOPTS='XPLINK(ON)'
export PATH=/usr/lpp/lotus/bin:/notes/$1:$PATH
alias dsmc=/usr/lpp/Tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc
alias dsmadmc=/usr/lpp/Tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmadmc
cd /etc/tsm/domino/
export PS1="$1 >"

NOTE : To support Domino V5 and V6 together, we would add code to select a
different PATH statement based on the Domino Instance name variable.
This has a UID=0  (root access in USS)

For any RESTORE requests, we use another single userid which is used both
by our Service Desk and Storage Management Team, and again this has a UID=0
(Root access).

All this fits together nicely - until we attempted to upgrade to Domino V6.

We planned to upgrade the H01/2 servers to Domino V6 first, and then to run
with both Domino V6 and V5. migrating each of the mail servers a week
apart.
We had to ensure compatibility with this mixed configuration.
When we first installed Domino V6 on our test LPAR, on H01, the first
problem we hit was as follows when executing a "domdsmc query domino"
command from our root userid :

h01 >domdsmc query domino

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail:
Data Protection for Lotus Domino
Version 5, Release 1, Level 5.01
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1999, 2002. All rights reserved.
Error Code 493: Do not run Domino as root.  Domino exiting
ACD5130E Could not initialize the connection to Lotus Domino properly.
error=493

Okay, Domino V6 does not allow you to run domdsmc as root
Why ??

So we set up a new user, with a UID=1999
We tested this on both Domino V6 and V5.
To allow the alternate userid to process domdsmc commands, we had to make a
lot of permission changes in our environment, in particular :

notes.ini
server.sid
all *.nsf and *.ntf files

We tested all functionality for proof of concept, ie
SEL/INCR/RESTORE/ARCHIVE etc....

All was okay until we attempted to QUERY a Notes mailbox (*.nsf) on the
Domino V5 instance using the non-root Logon,  which had been backed up with
teh root uid; we hit the following :

m01 >domdsmc query DBB "mail01/*" /INACT
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail:
Data Protection for Lotus Domino
Version 5, Release 1, Level 5.01
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1999, 2002. All rights reserved.
ACD5811I There are no database backups matching the filespec mail01/* and
the server name M01.

As you can see we cannot see any of the previously backed up mailboxes
(using the non-root uid) with the  "domdsmc query DBB" command.
The same error message occurs if you try a "domdsmc restore" command.
If you backup a mailbox with the non-root uid, you see only that latest
backup via a "domdsmc query DBB" command

If you run the same command with a root user, as the Mail Server is still
at Domino V5, you see all the backups, including the one just taken with
the non-root userid.

So we have a dilemma.
We have to either ditch all our old backups after migration to Domino V6,
thereby eliminating our capability to recover old data, or start backing up
now using a non-root uid.
(This at least will provide us with some recovery capability)

We do not want to make drastic changes to our strategy.

Has anyone encountered this type of issue?
I have raised PMR's with IBM but I was wondering if anyone who subscribes
to ADSM.ORG had encountered similar problems and implemented a work around
??

Thanks

Robin Lowe
Senior Storage Analyst