ADSM-L

file auditing on NT servers

2004-05-25 13:53:00
Subject: file auditing on NT servers
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:52:51 -0400
Hello everyone!

I am not a Windows guru, so please excuse any mis-stated terms.  We were
recently audited and were told to turn file auditing on all of our NT
servers.  This has caused a tremendous amount of data to be backed up to
the TSM server.  They have set file auditing by a Group Policy on drives C
with one of the following attributes set:  The setting is on propogate not
replace so any file or folder with the inheritance turned on will gain the
settings from its Parent or Hierarchy.  It appears as if this is backing up
these folders/files for the past several days and causing major overhead
and I was wondering if anyone else has file auditing turned on and what
parameters you have set?  Thank you for any insight on this matter!!!!!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603