ADSM-L

Re: TSM 32Bit to 64bit Upgrade

2004-05-25 12:14:37
Subject: Re: TSM 32Bit to 64bit Upgrade
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GLOBALCROSSING DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 16:14:05 +0000
Hot Diggety! Hart, Charles was rumored to have written:
> We are currently are running TSM 5.1.7.3 - 32bit on a p630 AIX 5.2.2.
> We would like to change the TSM from 32bit to 64bit during this
> upgrade.  We ran a preview of the install choosing the 64bit rte and
> server code and lic filesets but the preview failed because it stated
> that the tsm.server.rte was already there.  We decided to just go
> ahead and upgrade the 32bit code.
>
> Has anyone upgraded TSM 5.x from 32 to 64bit code?  The Quick Start
> and Admin guide only make reference to AIX 4.3 to 5.2, nothing about
> 32Bit to 64bit TSM.

Haven't done the exact situation you described but my guess is you'd
have to upgrade the OS to 5.2, verify bos.64bit is installed, bootinfo
-K says 64 (if it doesn't, you'll need to adjust the two symlinks, do
bosboot, and reboot), then uninstall tsm.server.rte and install
tivoli.tsm.server.aix5.rte64, and make sure TSM and the OS is
patched/upgraded.

You'd be well advised to take a mksysb backup of the system prior to the
upgrade and perhaps do the 4.3.3->5.2 upgrade via alt_disk_migration.

-Dan