ADSM-L

TSM server migration steps

2004-05-24 21:44:53
Subject: TSM server migration steps
From: Gordon Woodward <gordon.woodward AT DB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:29:04 +1000
I'm just about to move our two TSM servers (v4.2.2.0) to new W2K server boxes,
before upgrading to TSM v5.2, and have written up a detailed process on what
needs to be done to move the TSM server to new machines.

I was hoping someone could look over the process I have written up  and check
if there are any mistakes or omissions that need correcting. These are the
detailed steps I have written (FYI - some command options are specific to our
site):

Migrating TSM to a new server

Old Server
1.    Migrate all disk storage pools to tape
a.    UPDATE STGP BACKUP HI=0 LO=0
b.    UPDATE STGP BACKUPCOLL HI=0 LO=0
c.    UPDATE STGP ARCHIVE HI=0 LO=0
d.    UPDATE STGP ARCH-S2S HI=0 LO=0

2.    Record size of storage pool volumes
a.    QUERY STGP F=D (print results)
b.    QUERY VOL DEVC=DISK F=D (print results)

3.    Note configuration of of library, devclass, drives and paths, licenses
a.    QUERY LIBRARY F=D (print results)
b.    QUERY DEVC F=D (print results)
c.    QUERY DRIVE F=D (print results)
d.    QUERY SYSTEM (print results)
e.    QUERY LICENSE (print results)

4.    Backup TSM database
a.    BACKUP DB DEVCLASS=LTOARC TYPE=FULL SCRATCH=YES
b.    Record volume name database is saved to

5.    Note size of database and recovery log volumes
a.    QUERY DBVOL F=D (print results)
b.    QUERY LOGVOL F=D (print results)

6.    Copy DSMSERV.DSK, DEVCONFIG.OUT, VOLHIST.OUT and DSMSERV.OPT to new server

New Server
7.    Install TSM base server code on new server
8.    Register licences
9.    Attach the libraries and SAN drives from the old server to new server
(Navisphere)
10.   Install TSM device driver

11.   Start TSM and define the DATABASE and LOG volumes to the same size as on
the old server
a.    DEFINE DBVOL <VOLNAME> FORMATSIZE=<ORIGINAL SIZE IN MB>
b.    Repeat for all database volumes
c.    DEFINE LOGVOL <VOLNAME> FORMATSIZE==<ORIGINAL SIZE IN MB>
d.    Repeat for all recovery log volumes

12.   Define LIBRARY, DRIVES, DEVCLASS and paths as they were on original server
e.    Servers
i.    DEFINE SERVER TIVOLI_DR COMMMETHOD=TCPIP HLADDRESS=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
LLADDRESS=1502  NODENAME=TIVOLI_HO PASSWORD=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SERVERPASSWORD=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

f.    Libraries
i.    DEFINE LIBRARY ATL LIBTYPE=SCSI DEVICE=LB0.1.0.5 SHARED=NO (check device
number against device drive information)
ii.   DEFINE LIBRARY ATLARC LIBTYPE=SCSI DEVICE=LB2.0.0.5 SHARED=NO (check
device number against device drive information)

g.    Drives
i.    DEFINE DRIVE ATL DRIVE0 DEVICE=MT0.2.0.5 ELEMENT=256 ONLINE=Yes
ii.   DEFINE DRIVE ATL DRIVE1 DEVICE=MT0.8.0.5 ELEMENT=257 ONLINE=Yes
iii.  DEFINE DRIVE ATL DRIVE2 DEVICE=MT0.10.0.4 ELEMENT=258 ONLINE=Yes
iv.   DEFINE DRIVE ATL DRIVE3 DEVICE=MT0.12.0.4 ELEMENT=259 ONLINE=Yes
v.    DEFINE DRIVE ATLARC DRIVE4 DEVICE=MT2.1.0.5 ELEMENT=1 ONLINE=Yes
vi.   DEFINE DRIVE ATLARC DRIVE5 DEVICE=MT2.2.0.5 ELEMENT=2 ONLINE=Yes

h.    Device classes
i.    DEFINE DEVCLASS LTO DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=0 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=ATL
ii.   DEFINE DEVCLASS LTOARC DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=DRIVE MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES
MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=0 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=ATLARC
iii.  DEFINE DEVCLASS OFFSITE DEVTYPE=SERVER MAXCAPACITY=5242880K MOUNTLIMIT=6
MOUNTRETENTION=5 PREFIX=TSM SERVERNAME=TIVOLI_DR RETRYPERIOD=10 RETRYINTERVAL=30
13.   Stop TSM

14.   Copy DSMSERV.OPT and VOLHIST.OUT to TSM server directory
i.    COPY DSMSERV.OPT.FILE "C:\PROGRA~1\TIVOLI\TSM\SERVER1\DSMSERV.OPT"

15.   Restore TSM database
j.    "C:\PROGRAM FILES\TIVOLI\TSM\SERVER\DSMSERV" -k "Server1" RESTORE DB
todate=TODAY

16.   Start TSM server when restore is complete

17.   Restore disk storage pool volumes using details from (2b)
k.    DEFINE VOLUME <stgpname> <"volume path and name"> FORMATSIZE=<size in MB>
l.    Repeat (a) for each disk volume

18.   Test server and client operations

Also, with our TSM environment we have our two TSM servers communicating to
each other for DR purposes. Our main TSM server keeps a copy of all our backup
data on our secondary TSM server located at our DR site. When upgrading to TSM
5.2, if I only upgrade one server at a time (namely our DR server first), can a
TSM 4.2 server communicate properly with a TSM 5.2 server for server to server
operations?

Thanks in advance

Gordon

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.