ADSM-L

Library Manager/Client & Firewall - the sage continues

2004-05-20 16:07:03
Subject: Library Manager/Client & Firewall - the sage continues
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 16:06:22 -0400
Once again, I am looking for help/confirmation/suggestions on how to make
this seemingly impossible configuration of Library Manager/Library
Server/TSM server behind firewall.

This is what we are attempting----sorry about the repeats for those folks
who have been living through this mess, with me !

1.  3494-ATL with FC drives
2.  1-TSM AIX server acting as the Library Manager. Attached to SAN.
3.  1-TSM Linux server acting as a Library Client. Attached to SAN.

Here are the conditions/requirements:

a. The AIX server and the 3494 are on the same, private subnet.  The AIX
server is dual-homed with another nic that is accessible from the outside.
b. The Linux server is behind a firewall/nat on a completely different
network.  Dual-homing IS NOT ALLOWED.  We have been able to configure a
static IP address for when this server goes out the firewall.

Issue:

The Linux server needs to use the 3590-FC drives in the 3494-ATL.

Problem:

Server-to-server communications is not constant or kept open. While the
Linux server can contact and initiate communications with the AIX server,
the AIX server can not initiate a communications session with the Linux
server.....thus the AIX server can't manage the access to the tape library
and drives.

How can we resolve this ?  From my point of view, I can see how to do this
without either another connection to the ATL (again, not allowed as
dual-homed.....can the ATL have multiple IP addresses, one behind the
firewall, the other not ???) or another ATL just for the Linux server (not
do-able - no $$$$$).

We are open to any and all suggestions.