ADSM-L

Re: restore of systemobjects (windows 2000), new user variables still there ?!

2004-05-19 17:46:16
Subject: Re: restore of systemobjects (windows 2000), new user variables still there ?!
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:46:08 -0700
Was the enviornement variables part of the "user" or "system" environment
settings.  The "user" variables are part of the profile and are in NTUSER.DAT.
This file may not have been backed up directly due to being open and locked.
You can determine this by looking in the GUI under restore and seeing if it is
there.  This is why the restore didn't overwrite the one you made changes to.

It is backed up under C:\Adsm.sys as part of the SYSTEM OBJECTS backup for
Win2K and WinXP.  If you go under C:\ADSM.SYS and find the NTUSER.DAT file
there you can copy it over the NTUSER.DAT for the ID who's profile you made
changes too.  That should revert that profile back to the way it looked for the
backup.  Of course in order to copy it you have to make sure that you aren't
signed on with that ID.

TSM <tsm AT PROFI-AG DOT DE> wrote:
hello tsm friends,

environment:

tsm server 5.2.2.3
tsm client 5.2.2.5
windows 2000 server

i thought, that a complete restore of w2k system objects will completely
overwrite and replace existing registry on my w2k server.

what we made was backup of w2k systemobjects last night.
we then create some new user variables over the day for testing.

then we decide to restore our w2k system objects backup from last night to
delete all of our changes.

what we saw was the following:

the new user variables, which were not in our system object backup are
still on the server.

Is this tsm functionality or a bug?

what can we do, to delete new user variables during restore of system
objects?

what went wrong?

any comment will help.

with best regards