ADSM-L

Re: Scheduler stops

2004-05-12 18:48:17
Subject: Re: Scheduler stops
From: Robert Clark <raclark AT REGENCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:32:53 -0700
When we first had problems with this, this was our thought:

By default, the inittab entry for "dsmc sched" was respawn.

When "dsmc sched" does a check in every 12 hours, it actually spawns a
child process to hold its place in line, and then does a check with the
server. ( a work around by Tivoli for "dsmc sched" leaking memory?)

During the very short interval that this respawn is happening,  init
notices that the "dsmc sched" it started is gone, so it starts another one.
This new instance tries to bind to the ports that were in use by the first.
A scuffle insues, and the whole mess goes down.

We worked around this problem by changing from "respawn" to "once" in
inittab.

Later, we changed to a different solution. We switched from running "dsmc
sched" in inittab to running "dsmcad" in inittab. The setting of
"managedservices" in dsm.sys/dsm.opt then depends on whether you need a
webclient, scheduler, or both.

There have been considerably fewer problems with dsmcad.

We've never confirmed this with Tivoli support, so ymmv.

Thanks, [RC]

                      "Krzysztof WOZNIAK"
                      <k.wozniak AT ECU.EDU DOT AU       To:    ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      >                          cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM: Dist       Subject:      Re: Scheduler
stops
                      Stor Manager"
                      <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

                      05/12/2004 12:23 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

                      |-------------------|
                      | [ ] Secure E-mail |
                      |-------------------|

I had a similar problem on AIX, Sun and Linux.
I believe it may by network-related.
Re-starting "dsmc sched " fixes the problem.

On all my servers I re-start dsmc 5 mins before
a scheduled start of operation using cron.
It is a band-aid solution but it works fine.

I would gladly hear from others..

Regards,

--
Mr Krzysztof Wozniak        ,-_|\      E-mail: K.WOZNIAK AT cowan.edu DOT au
Edith Cowan University     /     \      Phone: 61-8-9273 8026