ADSM-L

Re: Scheduler stops

2004-05-12 07:28:47
Subject: Re: Scheduler stops
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 07:28:12 -0400
>For the second time now I have the problem, that suddenly the server's
>scheduling service stops (in the mid of the night). I can't find any message
>in the actlog and I don't know where else to look. All schedules go to
>missed, in the client-Sched.log no message apears.
>Last time I restarted the server and all was ok.
>Tsm Server Version is 5.1.7.3 on an AIX 5.1

If this were due to some kind over overnight networking problem (including
someone playing with firewall settings), you should see TSM client and/or server
logged indications of having tried and failed, with problem records expected in
the AIX Error Log, and perhaps reflected in 'netstat -v' error counts.

We don't know what your client schedule type is - polling or prompted: pursue
based upon the direction in which the sessions are initiated.  You don't
indicate that you checked the client dsmerror.log files, which may have
something.

A too-obvious cause of the problem is someone, or an admin schedule, having
performed DISAble SESSions, which should be evidenced by a ANR2097I msg in the
activity log.  That condition is reset in a TSM server restart, so things will
work again for a while after the restart.

I will presume that there are not long-lingering client procesess which have
exhausted your eligible license count.

To debug an apparent TSM server failure to schedule, define a client schedule
that runs every hour, with ACTion=Command and OBJects specifying a client
command which will simply accumulate a log the scheduled invocations, such as
the Unix command 'date >> /var/log/debug'.  Appending should be fairly regular,
and if it stops, you have a pinpointed timeframe to examine.

  Richard Sims