ADSM-L

server 2 server virt volumes

2004-05-08 14:38:05
Subject: server 2 server virt volumes
From: Otto Schakenbos <otto.schakenbos AT TELEFLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 20:32:24 +0200
Dear List,

on our site we are using virtual to virtual volumes for our copy pools.
Since the 2 tsm server used are standing next to each other the tapes
containing the virtual volumes are moved offsite. Therefore i can not
reclaim those tapes on the target server, i can on the source server
like any other copypool.
The problem we are seeing is offsite tapes with very little data on
them, this data is then part of a larger virt. volume not subject (yet)
to reclamation seen from the source server.
to fight this problem i have thought of the following:
write a script that queries those almost empty tape and find what virt
volume is on there. Then delete this virt volume on the source server.
On the next copy stgp the tape will be released.
What i don't like about this solution is that it can cause a lot of data
movement, our virt. volumes are defined 40 gig, if i delete a almost
100% used virt vol then on next backup max 40gig   will be backed up.
Possible solution  would be to make the virt volumes lets say 1 gig in
size.

Any other ideas on how to solve this?

regards

--