ADSM-L

Re: Taking dbbackups on remote TSM servers

2004-05-07 21:24:45
Subject: Re: Taking dbbackups on remote TSM servers
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 21:22:46 -0400

I'm doing server-to-server backups for my DB backups now: I've found several
substantial advantages to it:

- You can get more than one backup on a tape volume (increasingly important:
  my 3592 drives store about 1.4TB of compressed TSM DB)

- You can make copies of your main line of backups, instead of making a
  primary and some snapshots.

Consider: if you deploy a second TSM server on the same hardware at each site,
and then trade off copies, you'll get the best of both worlds: Fast local
creation of the backup, and diverse storage of the data in remote locations.

It's not too complex to deploy multiple server instances on the same hardware.
There's a little management overhead, and you'll be playing with shared
libraries, but the benefits are substantial.

- Allen S. Rout