ADSM-L

Re: What are people doing to bkup big DB2, data warehouse

2004-05-06 20:41:17
Subject: Re: What are people doing to bkup big DB2, data warehouse
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 10:37:10 +1000
Matt,

Our biggest backup is a tiddler compared to yours,3 way P690 lpar, 300GB
SAP/DB2 backed up in two streams, but we found that when we used client side
compression, one cpu per task maxed out with the compression load.  Thus it was
faster to turn off client side compression and use tape drive compression.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM 07/05/2004 2:29:45 >>>
Hello all,
     I am wondering what people are doing to backup these beasts and
what kind of success (backup times) they have had doing it.
    We are backup up a 3TB DB2 data warehouse but it is taking almost 11
hours, end to end.   The disk is all Shark, the client is on a p690
14cpu lpar, TSM 5.1 client, GB Ethenet adapter, going to TSM 5.1.8
server on z/OS 1.4..  We are precompressing the data on the p690 and
going direct to 6 9840 tape drives.  We are using the DB2 backup utility
with parallelism set to 4, with the 6 concurrent streams.
    Ideally we would like to back it up hot, seems to big and active.
There is too much data for mirroring or FLASHCOPY.   Has anyone tried
just backing upthe RAWS seperatly?
Matt

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.