ADSM-L

Re: What are people doing to bkup big DB2, data warehouse

2004-05-06 13:42:07
Subject: Re: What are people doing to bkup big DB2, data warehouse
From: Guillaume Gilbert <guillaume.gilbert AT CGI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:37:49 -0400
Hi Matt

We have the same architecture.  We used to back it up through GE to an MVS
TSM server and 1.6 GB tapes. We would then migrate to 9840 tapes. This was a
PITA. We never could get the performance up. Now we backup to a P615 TSM
server with 2 FE cards. Performance is about the same. We backup to disk. We
run 4 concurrent backups with parallelism set to 4, so 16 different sessions
on TSM. Our network cards run between 10 and 12 MB/sec. We also precompress
data. Our goal is to go Lanless to LTO2 drives. We've seen 3/1 compression
on this data warehouse so I'm guessing about 70 to 90 MB/sec per drive. This
is only speculation though.

We do full backups every month and TSP backups of the tables that get
updated weekly every week. Archive logs run every day.

Guillaume Gilbert
TSM Administrator
CGI
(514) 415-3000 x5091