ADSM-L

Re: What didn't get backed up?

2004-05-06 08:06:33
Subject: Re: What didn't get backed up?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 08:04:58 -0400
>There are certain exclude directives that are configured by default and
>stored in the registry, for example ?:\pagefile.sys and "System Volume
>Information" directories. If you type "q inclexcl" on the client they will
>show up in the "Operating System" section.

A good reminder, Dmitri.  Too many sites are not using the Query INCLexcl (or
Query SYSTEMInfo) command - no matter how often we stress the need to do so -
and are not seeing windows environment realities.  The FilesNotToBackup Registry
key contains this list, which TSM and other backup products honor.  (And note
that there is also a KeysNotToRestore list.)  Topic "Backup, which files are
backed up" in ADSM QuickFacts summarizes what we know.

Unfortunately, the Windows B/A client manual fails to present this implicit
exclusion in exposition, and further confuses things by on page 27 (of the
latest manual) saying:

  "If you do not create an include-exclude list, Tivoli Storage Manager
   considers all files for backup services ..."

This is contradictory to reality, and needs to be fixed in the manual.
The manual needs to spotlight FilesNotToBackup in each instance where Inclexcl
list processing is mentioned.  For example, in Query INCLexcl command
exposition, there is no mention of this Registry key list.  There is too much
omission in this manual, leaving customers to scratch their heads and waste a
lot of time.  Windows is confusing enough as it is.

    Richard Sims   http://people.bu.edu/rbs