ADSM-L

Re: What is Imperfect Collocation???

2004-05-05 09:36:17
Subject: Re: What is Imperfect Collocation???
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 07:32:13 -0600
Imperfect collocation occurs when collocation is enabled, but there are
insufficient scratch tapes to maintain 100% separation of data. For
example, if you have five nodes but only four scratch tapes in the pool
and collocation by node is enabled, then volumes will be shared to some
extent by the nodes (assuming that the capacity of the tapes is not at
issue). Perhaps data from nodes one, two, three, and four reside on one
each of the four tape volumes, but then node five's data will co-reside
with at least one other node's data. Hence "Imperfect" collocation. Note:
I do not know where I heard this term (can't find it in the book), but I
do not think I made it up.

For more info, see the Admin Guide chapter "Managing Storage Pools and
Volumes", section "Keeping a Client's Files Together: Collocation",
subsection "How the Server Selects Volumes with Collocation Enabled".

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

David Nicholson <David_R_Nicholson AT WHIRLPOOL DOT COM>
05/05/2004 05:33
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Andy.....What is Imperfect Collocation???

"Imperfect Collocation"???   My experience has been that when I reach the
maxscratch threshold the storage group is full and cant accept data. Am I
missing something??

Dave Nicholson
Whirlpool Corporation

Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
05/04/2004 07:09 PM