ADSM-L

Re: What ever happened to Group Collocation ?

2004-05-04 16:17:11
Subject: Re: What ever happened to Group Collocation ?
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 16:13:55 -0400
I have already thought of this idea. I was hoping for GROUP COLLOCATION.

The problem with this idea/design is I have to essential duplicate
*EVERYTHING*, such as admin processes, operator training, etc.  Also, this
means I have to set aside disk storage (which is very limited on my zOS
system) to dedicate for each pool, that can't be shared, and hope I don't
guess wrong on how much each pool/group needs.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, this is probably the way I
will have to go.

One confusion is why do I have sooooo many partially filled tapes ?   I
don't have this many nodes ?

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/04/2004
01:10:17 PM:

> Zoltan, why not set up a SMALL_SERVERS policy domain which has MC
> definitions the same as your normal server PD with one difference - send
> the data to a different hierarchy where the tape storage pool is not
> collocated. The client nodes that are candidates for this PD are nodes
> that have small quantities of data in TSM's storage. You can do a q
> auditoccupancy to zero in on the nodes that are small server candidates
> that currently reside in the PD where the data is collocated. Small
> quantities are in my opinion nodes with less than 20-40GB reported by q
> auditocc. The q auditocc data has to be interpreted as "1/2 onsite, 1/2
> offsite" if you have a normal DR environment where the data has been
> backed up to a copy pool. Then copy the appropriate client schedules to
> the new PD, update the nodes to the new PD, then associate the nodes
with
> the new schedules. If your server is pre-5.2.x.x and you are running
> schedmode prompted, you will need to restart the client acceptor or
> scheduler service/daemon/nlm as the server does not remember the
client's
> IP address prior to 5.2.x.x servers. Then do a move nodedata for all the
> nodes in question. I have a customer with >175 nodes where 50 nodes are
> SMALL_SERVERS nodes residing on 2, sometimes 3 tapes. The large nodes
> reside on collocated tapes. This approach gives you the best of both
> worlds - a fast restore capability for a small node as only 2 sometimes
3
> tapes need to be mounted maximum, and good tape usage as the slot
> occupancy in the library is minimized (optimized). I also segregate
AGENTS