ADSM-L

Re: What ever happened to Group Collocation ?

2004-05-04 13:13:34
Subject: Re: What ever happened to Group Collocation ?
From: Joerg Pohlmann <jpohlman AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 10:10:17 -0700
Zoltan, why not set up a SMALL_SERVERS policy domain which has MC
definitions the same as your normal server PD with one difference - send
the data to a different hierarchy where the tape storage pool is not
collocated. The client nodes that are candidates for this PD are nodes
that have small quantities of data in TSM's storage. You can do a q
auditoccupancy to zero in on the nodes that are small server candidates
that currently reside in the PD where the data is collocated. Small
quantities are in my opinion nodes with less than 20-40GB reported by q
auditocc. The q auditocc data has to be interpreted as "1/2 onsite, 1/2
offsite" if you have a normal DR environment where the data has been
backed up to a copy pool. Then copy the appropriate client schedules to
the new PD, update the nodes to the new PD, then associate the nodes with
the new schedules. If your server is pre-5.2.x.x and you are running
schedmode prompted, you will need to restart the client acceptor or
scheduler service/daemon/nlm as the server does not remember the client's
IP address prior to 5.2.x.x servers. Then do a move nodedata for all the
nodes in question. I have a customer with >175 nodes where 50 nodes are
SMALL_SERVERS nodes residing on 2, sometimes 3 tapes. The large nodes
reside on collocated tapes. This approach gives you the best of both
worlds - a fast restore capability for a small node as only 2 sometimes 3
tapes need to be mounted maximum, and good tape usage as the slot
occupancy in the library is minimized (optimized). I also segregate AGENTS
 (TSM for Databases, Mail) into a different PD where the data flows into a
non-collocated tape pool such that reclamation activity is minimized and
tape occupancy is maximized, that is the number of tapes in use is
minimized. Agents typically send large blobs (the database) where
expiration often causes entire tapes to become empty. Workstations,
laptops in my implementations live in the STANDARD PD where the data flows
into a non-collocated tape pool.

Joerg Pohlmann
604-535-0452

Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
2004-05-04 07:54