ADSM-L

Re: Really strange - unable to restore directories...

2004-04-30 15:14:58
Subject: Re: Really strange - unable to restore directories...
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 20:08:29 +0100
Mark,

Patience is indeed a virtue - it took a good while (an hour or so), but
all of a sudden it sprung to life, the directories appeared and the data
started chugging its way back to the client - *phew*!

Should have thought of this really - it's a skill to be cool, calm,
collected and patient when you have angry managers looking over your
shoulder and wanting to know now why it isn't working. The only
indication I observed that something was going on was that the 'Total
Buffer Requests', as seen in the 'q db f=d' output, was taking a big
hit.

In any case, moving on from here, an hour to restore a single user's
directory structure (of less than a handful of MB or so) isn't what the
business are expecting, so I'll take a look at how to speed up this
directory scanning procedure for the future.

We live and learn - thanks for the help.

Rgds,

David McClelland