ADSM-L

Re: DRM Procedures

2004-04-28 19:37:22
Subject: Re: DRM Procedures
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:34:33 +1000
Dave

You can set maxproc on your diskpool and run as many processes as you have
drives.  That works fine.

But, why is the disk to tape dump speed important to you?
Most shops run a cycle of

backup clients to disk where possible tape where not
backup diskpools to copypool
backup tapepools to copypool
backup DB
expire inventory
migrate disk to tape.

In my shop we leave the data on disk until about 5PM so that most restores are
done from disk rather than tape. But, we could start migrating as early as
about 11AM with our current volumes.  TSM is very efficient with its tape
drives as compared with other competing products.  As long as the migrate is
complete before the next backup cycle that's enough.

Or do you have some sort of special requirement that I don't understand?

Regards

Steve.

>>> dbenigni AT LUTRON DOT COM 29/04/2004 6:15:27 >>>
Steve,

I could run the backup stg more times, that a different idea that I
have not thought about.

After looking at the timing the making the copy pool is very fast.  The
time hog is migrating the disk pool to the primary tape pool.  Now,
besides throwing more drives at this, is there any way to make this
process quicker?

Thanks for the insight.

Dave

>>> Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU 4/27/2004 7:18:12 PM >>>
Dave,

The maxprocess idea is a good one and will help, but yes, you will send
more tapes offsite.

As an alternative, could you run the backup stg process more often, say
two or three times over the night?
Then the last part of the copy will only take a small amount of time
and your window is reduced.

HTH

Steve

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland  HEalth, Brisbane, Australia

>>> dbenigni AT LUTRON DOT COM 27/04/2004 23:35:36 >>>
For our DRM procedures we have a script that runs nightly that does a
backup of all the primary storage pool to our copy pool.  Currently on
daily basis we are taking 1 tape of data and 1 database tape off site.
I would like to reduce the windows which it takes the copy pool to be
created.  I believe by doing the backup with the maxprocess directive
that would allow me to mount more tapes during this process, but this
would increase the number of tapes going off site.  Does this sound
correct to everyone?  TIA for the input.

Dave

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is
not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of
this email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return email.  You should also delete this email and
destroy any hard copies produced.