ADSM-L

dsmc following symlinks

2004-04-23 04:08:58
Subject: dsmc following symlinks
From: Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode AT PARALLAB.UIB DOT NO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:06:26 +0200
Hi fellow tsm'ers..

We have a linux file server that automounts filesystems via NFS. If
there is a symbolic link from one of the local filesystems to a
automount-filesystem, this automount filesystem seems to get mounted
when 'dsmc' is doing its daily backup. 'dsmc' seems to be following
the symbolic link.

This is causing problems for us when the remote NFS-server is
unavailable. Then 'dsmc' seems to be hanging forever waiting to mount
the filesystem from the unavailable file server. I really can't
understand why a incremental backup should follow symbolic links when
FOLLOWSYMBOLIC=NO, but it sure does.. Here's a strace from backing up
the symbolic link:

        /export/hanfsstud/stud2/arne/bin/alpha ->
                /Home/tuja/olea/bin/alpha/getdisplay

# strace dsmc incremental  /export/hanfsstud/stud2/arne/bin/alpha/getdisplay
<snip>
write(1, "\n", 1
write(1, "Incremental backup of volume \'/e"..., 81Incremental backup of volume
'/export/hanfsstud/stud2/arne/bin/alpha/getdisplay'
) = 81
access("/export/hanfsstud/stud2/arne/bin/alpha/getdisplay", F_OK

and it hangs forevere... If I disable autofs, it backs up the link
immediately.

Has anybody seen this same problem? Any solution / workaround for it?

btw: client v5.2.2.0, server v5.1.6.5.

   -jf