ADSM-L

Re: Image restore error

2004-04-22 17:40:46
Subject: Re: Image restore error
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 15:39:47 -0600
Wanda, you might try going out to the Sysinternals web site
(http://www.sysinternals.com) and getting the filemon and handle utilities
to see what kind of activity might be going on on that volume.

Also, make sure Windows Explorer isn't running, as if the focus is on that
drive, that might cause it to appear locked. Similarly, if you have any
other system monitoring tools that might be scanning the drive, that could
also cause it to appear locked. Maybe an antivirus program?

These are just guesses, as I don't have a more specific idea about what
the trouble could be.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
04/22/2004 13:43
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Image restore error

We have successfully used image restore on a test Win2K server in the past
and gotten it to work.

Now we are trying to use image restore on a different Win2K machine.
On this machine, the drive in question is a raw drive, and the restore
fails
with these messages in dsmerror.log:

ANS1287E Volume could not be locked
Image restore failed for \\server12\j$ <\\server12\j$>  with rc 4190.
Resetting rc so any other requests can continue.

There is no page space on j$, we don't see any processes running that
would
be using that drive.
Any ideas what to look for?
Do you normally expect to reboot the machine before doing an image
restore?

Server is 5.2.2.1 on Windows
Client is 5.1.6.2 on Win2K.

Thanks!
Wanda Prather
"* I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O *"  -(me)